Today, trucks carry more than 15 billion tons of freight a year across the United States – and each year, the amount of freight grows larger and larger. The job of matching freight to the appropriate motor carriers in the right location with the right equipment becomes more challenging all the time. This is where loadboards, freight boards or trucking boards come into play.
Today’s hours-of-service restrictions and the need to strategize available capacity with time-sensitive deliveries add to the complexities of the freight-matching puzzle.
The good news is that load boards that match up carriers and freight are more efficient and economical than ever before. Trucking load boards keep truckers on the road and the country’s economy moving.
How did load boards start?
Years ago, a load board may have been a blackboard in a dispatcher’s office that listed shippers’ and freight brokers’ loads with the names of truck drivers to assign to the shipments. With the advent and growing functionalities of online technology, load boards became fast ways to expedite the freight matching process that opened up opportunities for motor carriers across North America.
Free load boards vs paid load boards
Today trucking load boards are easy-to-use 24/7 freight matching systems that offer instant access for motor carriers to sign up for loads that match their location and equipment. Many trucker boards charge subscription fees, with some as high as $100 a month for plans with extra benefits. Other load boards are free. Both paid and free load boards play an important role in the movement of goods everywhere.
What are the benefits of using a load board?
The trucking industry is highly dependent on load boards, which offer benefits for freight brokers and shippers as well as motor carriers.
Load board benefits for freight brokers and shippers:
- Ability to post unlimited number of loads for motor carriers to see
- Speeds up process of getting loads delivered
- Helps new freight brokers get started
- Opens up the universe of possible motor carriers for jobs
- Increases competition for loads
Load board benefits for motor carriers:
- Ability to post trucks and locations for brokers and shippers to see
- Speeds up process of finding work
- Helps new owner operators get started
- Lets motor carriers find reliable brokers to work with
- Opens up opportunities in different parts of the country
- Offers flexibility in working schedules
Thinking about how to start a trucking company?
FreeFreightSearch.com, the world’s largest FREE load board, offers motor carriers additional benefits beyond freight matching:
- One-stop site for searching for quick-pay loads
- Integrated freight bill factoring with a top invoice factoring company specializing in transportation funding
- Fuel advances on selected loads
- Credit records and payment histories on more than 10,000 freight brokers
- Links to Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA) records on brokers
- Real-time alerts when a load is posted that matches a truck that has been posted
- Helpful information on the trucking industry and trucking trends
Can you factor invoices through a load board?
When a load board is integrated with a leading factoring company specializing in freight bill funding, motor carriers can factor their invoices online easily and simply. When a trucking company takes on a load that won’t pay in 30, 45, or even 60 days, the factoring company can advance you the value of that invoice for a small factoring fee. Some factoring companies also provide fuel advances on pick up.
How does a load board work?
With online load boards, truckers can search for loads using filters to narrow down first their origin city and then their destination area. Typically, another filter enables them to narrow down the equipment required for a particular load and the date.
Freight brokers and shippers can both post loads and search for trucks that have posted their locations. Both parties – the motor carriers searching for loads and the companies that post loads – can reach out to one another for details about dates, weights, and payments. The arrangements to hire a motor carrier to carry a load typically are finalized through emails and/or phone calls.
Why do truckers use load boards?
With 24/7 access to available loads, motor carriers of all types – from fleet owners to independent owner-operators – have the opportunity to stay loaded around the clock. Some truckers search load boards for most of their freight; others rely on them to avoid deadheading back home. Whatever equipment a trucker has, he or she can improve and expand available opportunities for work by using a load board.
What are some tips for using a load board?
Load boards are typically easy to use with no need for additional explanations, but here are a few tips for motor carriers who are new to the system:
- Don’t just search for loads; be sure to also post your own equipment for freight brokers to see
- When conducting a search, start with your current location or origin city to see the most available loads heading in different directions
- Before signing on to carry a load, check out a freight broker’s past payment history to ensure that you will be working with someone reliable and trustworthy. Avoid those with no credit or low credit.
- New loads are posted constantly; check back frequently
- Act fast on the loads and routes you want as many other truckers are online the same time that you are
- When your company is in a financial crunch, choose a freight broker that offers fuel advances and quick pay, or choose to factor your invoices
Are load boards worthwhile?
Load boards are worthwhile for both motor carriers and freight brokers or shippers. They are an indispensable source of income for both parties and they keep our economy growing. Load boards open doors for companies new to the industry. With 24/7 access year-round, load boards are available for searches from anywhere and are easy to use on mobile phones, tablets, and laptops when truckers are on the road.
What is FreeFreightSearch.com?
FreeFreightSearch.com is the world’s largest free load board. A trusted resource for truckers and brokers for years, the site is simple to use. With over 70,000 registered motor carriers and 18,000 freight brokers and shippers, FreeFreightSearch typically lists more than 50,000 loads at any one time. Since its inception, more than 12 million loads have been posted on the site. Signing up for FreeFreightSearch is fast and easy and no member will ever be asked for a credit card number or other payment method. Visit FreeFreightSearch.com now to get started.