When you’re always on the go and transporting loads to different places, it can be challenging to stick to a routine. Just because you have a demanding job like being a trucker, doesn’t mean you can’t take care of yourself.
As we’re coming into the season of resolutions and goals to be healthier, keep this advice in mind to help you stay fit while on the road.
So, if you have a smartphone, a laptop, or even a tablet, there are plenty of options to help you stay on track with your fitness goals while driving trucks. Before we get into some great apps that will help you on your journey to wellness, let’s go over a few basics to being healthy on the road.
Being Healthy on the Road
Just because you’re driving long hours and through unfamiliar places doesn’t mean you can’t be healthy. Remember these golden rules of staying healthy from behind the wheel:
- Stay Hydrated: It can be easy to reach for sodas, coffees, or sports drinks from truck stops and gas stations, but drinking water is key. It’s best to sip some water all day long rather than chugging a bottle when you’re thirsty.
- Pack Snacks: If you do a little prep before heading out on the road you could save yourself a lot of time, money, and exposure to junk food. Pack fruits and veggies in reusable containers as well as other healthy snacks that may be harder to find at your average truck stop.
- Take Supplements: While you should consult your physician on what supplements your body needs the most, a general multivitamin can be helpful and contribute towards taking care of yourself.
- Get Rest: Quality sleep will be your best friend. Make sure you allow yourself to get proper sleep each night and you give yourself time to wind down from the day; avoid looking at screens before bed or drinking caffeine close to lights out.
Apps to Help Keep You Fit
The 4 tips above are essential for staying healthy, but they’re best for you when incorporated together with a regular exercise routine. Creating a solid routine and sticking with it while being a trucker is no easy feat, but it isn’t impossible.
We have more resources than ever before. Here are some of our favorite apps to keep us fit while on the road.
- Nike Training Club: This app will leave you with zero excuses. This “ultimate personal trainer” has nearly 200 preloaded workouts that you can stream with Wi-Fi or download for offline use and range in levels of difficulty, time, and even necessity of equipment.
- 7 Minute Workout: This is great for drivers on a time crunch; you don’t need a lot of time to do your body good. If you’re on a tight schedule or just want to take full advantage of a break, use the 7-minute workout app for maximum efficiency.
- Yoga with Adriene: While this is actually a YouTube channel, it’s a great option for truckers looking to get in some zen time. If you’ve noticed your stress levels are high or maybe you are recovering from an injury or looking to ease into fitness, yoga is a great workout.
- Zombies, Run!: The perfect combo for truckers who like to run and also want to have a little fun. You can make the most of your break by using it for fun and exercise. This app is actually a cardio game designer for runners (or walkers) to enjoy the story of a post-apocalyptic zombie takeover as the main character. Throughout the story, the narrators will encourage you to walk, jog, or run faster as zombies are chasing you.
- Keelo: If you’re more of a HIIT fan, then this is the app for you. You can choose from a variety of bodyweight or workouts with equipment from 7-20 minutes in order to get a solid strength training session in a few times a week. Burning calories has never been easier.
Whether you’re looking to build strength or find your zen, there’s an app for everything. While we just skimmed the surface of what’s out there, if you spend a little time searching through the app store, you’ll surely find something that works for you.
We hope you’ll use these tips to start 2019 off right and keep you healthy throughout the year. If you’re looking for more resources exclusively for truck drivers head over to FreeFreightSearch.com, between our blog and the world’s largest FREE load board there’s something for everyone.