Fuel costs are a huge aspect of any trucker’s budget, and keeping things under control will determine how effectively you can run your business. Among the trucking community, the debate around fuel cards vs. credit cards seems to be never-ending, but today we have a few facts to help you make up your mind once and for all.
Whether you call it a fleet card or a fuel card, there are plenty of reasons why they may make more sense for your business than credit cards.
Keep Your Fuel Costs Under Control
If you’re looking for the short answer, here it is: if you’re using credit cards you’re overpaying for fuel. Even if you’re making payments before the interest accrues, you’re actually paying more to use a credit card. The price drivers see on the signs is just for cash, using a credit card means you’re potentially paying at least an extra 5 cents per gallon.
If you really want to get the most bang for your buck and do more than just save money, use a fleet or fuel card. Here are five great reasons why a fleet card will be your trucking business’ best friend.
- Better Fuel Reporting: Using a fleet card can provide helpful insight into your truck’s performance, and adds the ability to monitor maintenance needs or issues. Additionally, you and your drivers never have to worry about handling receipts thanks to digital statements.
- Valuable Accounting Resource: Fleet cards offer many benefits when it comes to managing your finances. They are simple and comprehensive and can deliver real time reports, set purchase controls and prep fuel tax reporting — all of which keep you on top of your business.
- Safer for Drivers: If your driver frequents questionable areas or has been robbed in the past, they’ll likely prefer to carry a fuel card. Fuel cards, like debit cards, require a special PIN number to use and are also helpful for business owners who are monitoring driver transactions. They are also easy to cancel or deactivate if they are lost or stolen.
- Easy to Use: Fleet cards come with a variety of resources like online monitoring, apps, and even fuel finders that can search for the best deals on fuel in your area. Fuel cards come with complete transparency, and allow you and your drivers to access information 24/7.
- Discounts: Many fuel cards, like FFS Fuel Card, allows drivers to use them at multiple locations while offering discounts through various retailers.
Fuel cards can be the easiest, safest and most cost-effective option for truckers looking to keep their fuel costs under control. FreeFreightSearch.com is proud to offer a fuel card that is accepted in over 14,000 locations across North America. Learn more about the app, cash advances, customized reporting and much more here!
Work smarter and with the convenience of a single fuel card solution: the FFS Fuel Card.